Joint Development of Innovative Small and Cube Satellites
The third meeting on joint development of innovative small/cube satellites was held with video/tele-conference system
Based on the action items from the 2nd meeting in August 23 on Joint Development of Innovative Small-Cube Satellite, JAXA reported the result of the feasibility study and participants discussed on the result of the feasibility study and the possible meaningful payload.
The key points recognized and shared among the participants are summarized as follows:
- To develop a chaser CubeSat (6U size) and a target CubeSat (3~6U size) with meaningful payload, for technology demonstration of rendezvous and docking technologies and inter-satellites communication. A/I: all of the participants will consider and propose meaning payload for 4th meeting.
- From the view point of efficiency, it is proposed to utilize readily available (COTS) and already developed systems as much as possible, and will focus on the development of mission specific technologies like miniaturized thruster, docking mechanism, inter-satellite communication etc.
- Following the 4th meeting on November 6th, the mission concept of this joint development will be introduced at the STWG of APRSAF, and then will be announced in the STWG's report to APRSAF Plenary on Nov. 8th.
The following initial interests are shown:
- JAXA : Thruster
- KARI : Algorithm for Randevuous/Docking
- KARI, VNSC : Inter-satellite communication
Aerospace Committee of Kazakhstan commented that they will prepare a proposal for 4th meeting based on the 3rd meeting.
ASA commented that it would like to consider the possibilities to participate in this joint development.
All participants agreed to have the 4th meeting on November 6th during APRSAF-25 in Singapore.
Participants of the 3rd meeting
- Mr. Karl Rodrigues, Australian Space Agency (ASA)
- Professor Iver Cairns, University of Sydney, Australia
- Mr. G. Ravi Chandra Babu, Associate Project Director, U.R. Rao Satellite Centre, ISRO
- Mr. Atsushi Noda, Deputy Director of System Technology Unit, Research and Development Directorate, JAXA
- Mr. Junichi Moriuma, Manager, Management and Integration Department, Research and Development Directorate, JAXA
- Mr. Ryota Yoshida, Associate Senior Administrator, Management and Integration Department, Research and Development Directorate, JAXA
- Mr. Hajime Shinomiya, Administrator, Management and Integration Department, Research and Development Directorate, JAXA
- Ms. Mizuki Tani, Administrator, Management and Integration Department, Research and Development Directorate, JAXA
- Mr. Amanat Umbetbayev, Head of International relation's division of Aerospace Committee
- Mr. Wonsub Choi, Senior Researcher of Future Convergence Research Division, KARI
- Professor Ivan Ramirez, Mayor University
- Ms. Paula Jean Casino, Research Associate, University of Philippines, DOST
- Mr. Vu Viet Phuong, Deputy Director General, VNSC, Vietnam
- Mr. Masanobu Tsuji, Director, JAXA Bangkok Office
- The APRSAF Secretariat: Mr. Akira Kosaka, Dr. Hiroshi Shirakawa, Ms. Yuki Tanaka