Photo of Space Policy Practitioners Workshop during APRSAF-26
National Space Legislation Initiative aims to realize the following objectives through the establishment of a Study Group among the space law/policy practitioners in Asia-Pacific countries:
- To promote information sharing and mutual learning on the practices and examples of national space legislation and/or policies in the Asia-Pacific Region
- To enhance the Asia-Pacific countries’ capacity to draft and implement their national space legislation and/or policies in accordance with international norms
The Initiative was reviewed at the APRSAF ExCom, proposed at the Space Policy Practitioners Workshop during APRSAF-26, and authorized at the Plenary Session of APRSAF-26.
Outline of Activities:
- Participating countries will provide the information on national space legislation.
- Study Group will draft a report on the status of national legislation in the Asia-Pacific Region, which will be submitted to the UNCOPUOS Legal Subcommittee (LSC). (March, 2021)
Membership is open to national governmental organizations of the countries in the Asia-Pacific region. An organization wishing to participate in the Initiative, please inform the NSLI Secretariat (NSLI-Secretariatml.jaxa.jp).
Framework of Operation
- Initiative is open to the countries in Asia-Pacific Region.
- Participation is voluntary.
- The term of the Initiative will be about 2 years.
- The membership of Study Group (SG) is nominated by the participating country.
- SG will be led by a chair or co-chairs. Secretariat will be set up to support.
- Participating country will provide information on the national legislations using common form with original documents.
- The report will include the filled-in form and some findings studied by the SG.
- SG will meet on the occasions of UNCOPUOS Legal Subcommittee (LSC), APRSAF, and ad hoc meetings (including telephone and video conferences) to study the information provided from each participating organization.
- SG will make a report by the end of 2020 for the submission as conference paper of the UNCOPUOS LSC (March 2021).
- Evaluation of the Activities will be considered for setting up the Space Policy and Law WG.